When anxiety disorders present themselves, people suffering from them are often faced with a number of challenges.
Not only do they have a serious mental illness that can derail a life, but they will have to seek out and participate in the right kinds of therapy to help them regain control. When help is desired, doctors do have a list of anxiety medications that can assist patients in getting on the path to recovery.
Medications Lessen Symptoms, Not A Cure
While none of the drugs on the list of anxiety medications is a cure, they can all help alleviate symptoms of anxiety disorders.
Some are designed to lessen acute anxiety symptoms immediately, but others work a little more slowly to bring symptoms in check.
On the list of anxiety medications are actual anti anxiety prescriptions. Drugs like Zoloft and Valium can work rather quickly to mute the most severe symptoms associated with anxiety disorders.
Anti depressants also find themselves on the list of anxiety medications. Drugs that fall into this classification tend to work a little more slowly, but they are often prescribed to help patients with a number of symptoms.
When any of the drugs on the list of anxiety medications is prescribed, patients are often advised to do a few things to protect themselves from potential problems. While most people take anxiety medications with little or no troubles, these are serious drugs. The side effects they present can also be serious.
Classifications Of Anti Anxiety Medications
Several commonly prescribed main classifications of anti anxiety medications include:
• SSRIs – Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. This includes medications such as:
• TCAs – Tricyclic Antidepressants. Some of the most common include:
• MAOIs – Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors, such as:
What To Do Before Taking Medications
Before accepting and taking any of the drugs on the list of anxiety medications, patients are urged to share a few things with their doctors. Medical professionals should be informed of:
• Complete medical history. Patients with certain conditions should not take some of the drugs. . Sharing full medical history is very important to protect against any serious complications.
• Full list of medications. Doctors should be apprised of all medications a patient is taking. This includes herbal and drug store, over-the-counter medications. Interactions between drugs can pose serious health risks. Patients should also check before they add any new medications to their daily routine after any of the drugs on the list of anxiety medications is started.
• Addiction problems. Since many of the drugs found on the list of anxiety medications can be habit forming, it is very important for patients to share any concerns with their physicians. If addictions have been a problem in the past, doctors might want to monitor use more closely or try a different form of therapy.
Dealing with the impacts of an anxiety disorder is possible. Drugs found on the list of anxiety medications can provide assistance for acute and chronic symptoms.
Other forms of therapy are almost always advised, however, to help patients cope over the long run.
Working at Walmart says